Game Night February 05, 2016

edited February 2016 in FWGN Events
Greetings.
For Game Night records prosperity, I am re-entering the entry with the correct date. Again, sorry about that.

Tom, Mark, Brian, and myself gathered for Game Night, which did indeed return to Florida Drive, Friday February 5th, 2016.

First we broke out an oldie but goodie Princes of the Renaissance. It has been a long time since I have seen this on the table and it was almost like playing a new game.
Princes of the Renaissance is set in Renaissance Italy. Each player is one of the princes vying for influence over the cities of Venice, Milan, Florence, Rome, and Naples.
Your "influence" gained in a city feels much like stock in a railroad game. As the city does better (as a result of wars), so follows the success of any player who has investment in that city. Investment comes in the form of tiles. All the tiles give various benefits or abilities.
So add the interactive fighting of the wars (Army tiles & dice rolling), to the investment in cities, and sprinkle some mischief in the form of Treachery tiles and you have a solid, great game that stands the test of time, now going on 13 years old. Give or take a few months, depending if you factor in the Florida Drive time-warp. :D

Mark was running away with the game with Merchants tiles and his Merchant tile modifier, thus making him an appropriate target. It took a lot of energy and resources to attempt to reel him in and even then, he had a good foundation and a lot of momentum. Eventually Mark & I tied for first place on this Princes of the Renaissance, with Tom and Brian not tying for first.

Then we capped off the evening by playing a relatively quick game of Modern Art. Although my memory escapes me on who won that game, I remember it was fun nonetheless.
Thanks for an enjoyable evening!
Rob
·

Comments

• It was an excellent gamenight, and Mrs Cisz had extra-good stuff on offer, especially including the dip, and I seem to recall pie...!

As I mentioned to Paul, my efforts at Modern Art were (at best) a flash-in-the-pan; and at Princes I was pretty much road-kill.

But, y'know, I wanna play both those games again - so there's that, eh?
    ·

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion