January 22 GameNight @ Lindenwood

edited January 2016 in FWGN Events
We'll convene in the kitchen at our humble home; overflow parking can be had across the street at either my brother's pull-off, or at our across-the-street neighbor's pull-off (on-street parking is legal, but Lindenwood can be fairly busy, including the occasional run by Engine 7)

I've no idea what we shall play, but the German fire game is always fun, as is Tigris, or Tinners Trail, or Chicago Express, or Seven Sisters....etc
·

Comments

• I expect to be present, along with a new Rob. Not that there is anything wrong with the old Rob.
    ·
  • I shall be there.
    ·
  • I will be there!
    ·
  • Count me in, weather permitting.
    ·
  • At the appointed hour, Mr Weber and Mr Cisz and Mr Glowacki and what's-his-name all showed up...oh yeah - Mr Robbins! - and we took a look at the games stacked up, and promptly broke out a game Mr Robbins brought, which was wonderfully colorful and which had many options and alternative ways to score.

The game - Orleans - was a village building game; here is a description I lifted from the Board Game Geek -

"During the medieval goings-on around Orléans, you must assemble a following of farmers, merchants, knights, monks, etc. to gain supremacy through trade, construction and science in medieval France. In the city of Orléans and the area of the Loire, you can take trade trips to other cities to acquire coveted goods and build trading posts. You need followers and their abilities to expand your dominance by putting them to work as traders, builders, and scientists. Knights expand your scope of action and secure your mercantile expeditions. Craftsmen build trading stations and tools to facilitate work. Scholars make progress in science, and last but not least it cannot hurt to get active in monasteries since with monks on your side you are much less likely to fall prey to fate. In Orléans, you will always want to take more actions than possible, and there are many paths to victory. The challenge is to combine all elements as best as possible with regard to your strategy."

In our game, I think we were mostly kicking the tires and revving the engine - sort of getting the feel for the thing. I was utterly clueless at the outset, and contented myself with farming and farming and farming. Later I discovered the value of building guild houses and collecting produce, but I never really worked to advance on the points track, which is one aspect which one cannot neglect.

On the other hand, Paul advanced all the way to the end of the points track, and that (alone) didn't advance his cause. The one lesson I think I learned in retrospect is - you cannot do just one thing superbly; rather - you must do several things adequately.

Tom addressed all aspects quite well - building guild houses and collecting crops and advancing on the point track, but so did Mark - and Mark also maximized bonus cards (specialized cards and capabilities) - so that, really, we just need to play that one again.

Pamela and the young folks had run off for the first part of the evening, but not before she fixed us up some goodies - especially including chocolate cookies, plus some chicken biscuits (or whatever you'd call the things) ...

so thanks again, one and all - and now we look forward to game night at Mr Webber's!
    ·
  • One critical failure at my game-night, which I learned about Saturday afternoon:

On the dryer, in the utility room, there was a container full of pretzel rods.

Egad!!

How on Earth could I possibly have let a whole Game Night unfold, and deprive the assembled fellows of the one thing that definitively belongs at every gamenight?

A thousand apologies!
    ·
  • No pretzel rods - this Game Night is under protest!
    ·
  • Thoughts on Orleans - Despite my (too) late realization that the guild halls and citizens were a key to victory, I thought Orleans to be a very solid game. There is a lot going on in the game and the player is presented with many choices and limited resources. As Brian and I discovered, one cannot choose a single path and be the best farmer or whatever. Ultimately, this is a game of balance. One must balance his own position against those around him. Tom and Mark excelled at that and Rob caught on more quickly than I did. There is a little luck in the game but this is mitigated somewhat by the fact that you do have significant control over what goes into your draw bag. You have no control over what comes out, but you do have some influence over that as well. It is a very very good game and I'm guessing this one could very well make my 2016 Top 10 list.

I was going to post my thought on Nautilus Industries separately but this spot is as good as any. NI is another very good game. It has a number of good things going for it - a nice theme, nice bits, lots of choices and the opportunity for players to have an effect on others. It was a little difficult to know what you were supposed to be doing in Nautilus Industries though. Perhaps repeated play would make this more evident. Timing in NI seems to be the key - when to buy stock, when to upgrade your warehouse, when to sell, when not to sell. I'm guessing NI would play out pretty much the same way again although perhaps with fewer ragged edges in the endgame.

Of the two, Orleans is the superior game in my estimation, if only because Nautilus Industries felt as if the game play was a little less polished, not clunky, but Orleans definitely had a smoothness to the design. In any case, both are good games and should probably get some more attention by the group.
    ·

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file