Game Night August 1, 2014

edited August 2014 in FWGN Events
Avast Ye Swabbies!

Game Night comes to port, to Florida Drive on 8/1/14, planned for 7:00pm.
As you may have guessed, I still have the unquenchable sea salt still flowing through my veins after being at the shore and have a need for more ocean-faring pirate games.

Since it doesn’t look like game night will fall on “Talk Like A Pirate Day” Friday 9/19/14, I may as well get it out of my system now.

I’d like to play any of the following Hispaniola, Plunder card game by Laughing Pan Productions, Libertalia, Pirate’s Cove, or Jamaica.

Also, fish & chips, and coconut shrimp are on the menu.
til then, good tidings and fare the well.

• Count me in, Cap'n!
  • I will happily climb aboard the pirate ship, but I will leave the shrimpers and fishes alone.
  • I shall be there.
  • Thanks very much to Rob and his lovely wife and family for not only putting up with us, but for the marvelous shrimp and fish and chips - and indeed - the marvelous home-made dippin' sauce!

We did indeed play an assortment of pirate games, started off by a go at Plunder - which looks to be an excellent game. I say 'looks to be' - because I stupidly ignored the title of the game and tried to be a merchant. Hint #1 - don't invest money on the "buy" side at ports; go and plunder one of the ships in your hand.

The game is lively and colorful, and a quick play (mercifully so, in my case) - and we'll have to do it again.

Libertalia was then broken out, and it is a fairly straight-forward (and entertainingly designed) allocation game wherein everyone has the same hand of cards (randomly arrived at beforehand) and with turn-order supplanted by a clever bidding mechanism wherein players simultaneously pursue their own goals and priorities.

I did terribly, but it was fun! And then Tom turned into a pumpkin and I was headed that way - until our humble host broke out the pirate game wherein it is a ship of fools shoving each other onto the (sometimes shortening) plank - and to their watery fate.

All in all, a very pleasant way to spend a Friday evening, although Rob's fine young 3-year old son registered a formal protest when he didn't get to join in!
  • Avast, me hearties! And thankee Brian for ye timely recap. I'll throw in my own 2 doubloons.

The first game we played was Plunder (the card game) by Karl & Julianne Lepp. Honestly, I’m not sure I get this game. But here is what I liked.
    It’s a pirate game where each player is a captain sailing the seas, involves plundering, has "diceless" movement mechanisms, captains have to navigate different ports of countries that are at war with each other and you may have to have an alliance with them in order to trade there, there are cards with “secret missions” to try to fulfill, and the map cards are placed so that the “gameboard” can be different every time you play, plus it has these decent little pieces that all fit into a small portable game box the shape a treasure chest.
    All that said, with all those likable features, I still cannot see what the purpose of the ports are. The card maps, the cargo pieces, the letters of marque, all lead up to this feeling you should be trading goods at the ports. But if you look at the prices you buy goods vs. the return for the prices you sell goods, the return is so low, that it makes no sense to buy anything from any port, ever. All you need to do is win a few ship battles and plunder them. If someone else wins a shipbattle go and fight them. But building the game around ports makes no sense to me. So, unless there is some rule mechanism I totally missed, I think this game had the potential to be amazing and missed "the marque."

Libertalia, (another pirate card game) is one of my top favorite pirate games. It has well drawn art on the character cards. It has a very interesting concept, of having different character cards that do different things at different times of the day, some during the day, some at night, and some at the end of the week. And of course, the best part is the constant interaction of the other players, attempting to anticipate what the others will play; will their character be going for the booty or something more devilish? And I was shown by Mr. Robbins that you may not wish to go for the best booty, if you can find a more strategic end. Such as taking a less valuable booty, allowing the next player to take the more valuable gold, and leaving the saber for me, which killed my heavy hitting character (with the anchor) that I needed to mop up points at the end of the week. It was brilliant move and opened my eyes to a new level of strategy to the game.

Then after Tom departed, Brian, Mark, and I still had a little time to squeeze in a quick game of Walk the Plank! (another pirate card game) which is always fun, controlled chaos.

Till next time, have a great week ya scurvy seadogs!
This discussion has been closed.