Game Night January 31, 2014

edited February 2014 in FWGN Events

Game Night returns to Florida Drive currently planned for 7:00pm. I would be willing to move it up to 6:30pm if I get 3 more votes, otherwise start time remains at 7pm. The weather should be up in the 20's by Friday, so that should be like a heat-wave, relative to the arctic temperatures we are enjoying now.

I'm extremely excited to try out my new Kickstarter game Twin Tin Bots by Philippe Keyaerts. It should run under 1 hr. So, after that, if someone has a game they are itching to play, it would be welcome.

Break out the snowdogs and parkas, and mush! mush! over to Florida Drive.

• I plan to be there. How is the parking situation?
  • I expect to attend, and early works for me.
  • Count me in, and I'll shoot for the 6:30 start, too
  • We have a school event; I WILL be there, but I won't be early (probably closer to 7:20) - so start without me and I'll catch up!
  • The parking situation is good.
    Park across, on the west side of the street it is nice & clear over there.

I'll call it for 7pm official start. If anyone shows early we can play the penguin game.

See ya soon!
  • As the crisp chill in the air brought forth the last evening of January, the glowing beams of headlights broke up the canvas, like fireflies in summer night skies. As the gathering compiled, the snack trays were brought out and the boxes opened & boards centered, thus games at Florida Drive were afoot.

Mark showed up ~6:30PM, and my daughters, Sarah & Bethany were lingering around for either the chance at grabbing a snack or seat in a game, I’m not sure which, but I suspect both. We chatted for a while, as I finished putting stickers on the little plastic bots. Then, Mark, Bethany, and I had time to play the penguin game “That’s My Fish!” I assume I won that game by a landslide, or in the spirit of the game…an avalanche!

Then Tom showed up and we re-racked the fish and proceeded again, with Bethany, Tom, myself and Mark playing, and that was the final scoring order, with Bethany quietly taking a big group of fish, while the rest of us viciously hacked at each other’s ice. The final score was B-29; T-26; R-25; M-18, and we lost 2 fish sinking into the arctic watery depths like Leonardo Dicaprio in the movie Titanic.

Anyways, we concluded we had also lost Brian as well, but to the school event, not arctic waters. So the five of us proceeded onto the main event, Twin Tin Bots.

"Twin Tin Bots." In a nutshell, you run around the board grabbing crystals with your two robots, and bring them back your base. Your “panel” allows you to program the robot’s actions, but you have to choose which robot you want to focus on at the time. Meaning, you can only make a single program change on your turn, but you always run the program of both your robots. The common result is to have one robot doing something you want accomplished and one robot doing something odd.
    The game is meant to be chaotic-fun, and overall short. By messing up a few key rules, the game did not play as quick as it should have. Tom’s robot got stuck in the mud in the middle of the board where the crystals come out, and I mistakenly thought that he being there blocked the entry of new crystals, but it doesn’t. The crystals should have kept coming out. So that was one error. The second error, I forgot that robots can push other robots around, so once Mark discovered that rule, the interaction got more interesting.

Through the game there was a lot of “pinball.” We could use portals to race to the crystals; zap other robots and make them do additional actions they didn’t want to perform; zap our own robots and essentially gain an extra action; we had robots swiping crystals from other robots; pushing other robots as they got in our path, or in the case of Sarah, spinning her one robot around in circles for most of the game. At the start of the game, Tom burst out of the starting blocks with a pre-plotted programming path and a risky strategy of using up his wildcard program tile right away. I think he would have won the game within 15 minutes if we had played the rules correctly. But we didn’t, and the game ran on over an hour. But Tom did win it…eventually.
    On the whole, the game is fundamentally sound. The robots & bases are nice robots & bases. I like that they give you green & red arrow stickers to put on the robots to tell which direction to turn, since it would eventually be too hard to keep track of when to go “left” or “right”. The game also makes you work on solutions as you go, reacting to other player’s decisions or mistakes on the fly.

All said, the game lived up to my expectations, and it is healthy for us to have some controlled chaos in our lives from time to time.

Tom turned into a pumpkin and called it good for the night. Then Mark, Bethany, Sarah, and I played the pirate plunder-racing game “Jamaica”. We all knew how to play so the game went fast. Mark won that game with a bold lead from the start and slowly drifted over the finish line as the last 3 roll results were 1’s & 3’s. I envisioned Mark’s pirates getting out their oars and paddling over the finish line in lack of wind.

Then Bethany went to bed, and Mark, Sarah, I stayed up a little longer to talk about vacationing in Alaska, whales, bears, avalanches, and somehow, even the movie Titanic…bringing it all full circle.
  • The 'science fair' at Towles was sort of a last-minute thing, owing to the tangled school schedules this winter. Suffice it to say, Chloe got a blue-ribbon for her display on why an egg will float in salt water, but not fresh water.

After that, it was off to the book fair, and after that, back toward home - and it was pushing past 8 pm, and I wimped out and decided I was going to have to eat, and call it an evening.

It certainly sounds like it was a great gamenight, and Twin Tin Bots sounds like a lot of fun....and capping off the evening by blasting Mark with as many cannons as one can amass always sounds like good stuff to me!
This discussion has been closed.